- Two-Step Verification Overview
- Two-Step Verification and Canvas
- Recommendations and Known Issues
Two-Step Verification Overview
Two-Step Verification at Penn
The University of Pennsylvania has instituted two-step verification for PennKey-protected websites. After you log into a PennKey-protected website (e.g., Canvas), you will be asked to verify your identity through your mobile device or through other means (e.g., a pre-printed single-use verification code).
Two-Step Verification Set-up and Info
Each of these links leads to ISC’s documentation on two-step verification:
- Two-Step Verification Quick Start
- Two-Step Verification: detailed instructions
- Enroll in Two-Step Verification
- Two-Step Verification FAQ
Two-Step Verification Deadlines
IMPORTANT: You may not be able to access PennKey-protected websites–including Canvas–if you have not enrolled in two-step verification by the following deadlines:
- Faculty: October 31, 2018
- Students: February 14, 2019
Please enroll in two-step verification as soon as possible to avoid access issues with Canvas and other PennKey-protected websites.
Help with Two-Step Verification
- Call the Two-Step Verification Hotline: (215) 746-2222
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-6:00pm EST
- Visit the Tech Center: Room G-102 (ground floor of the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center). More information on the Tech Center.
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm EST
- Email the Tech Center: firstname.lastname@example.org
Two-Step Verification and Canvas
The following information explains how to log into Canvas with two-step verification.
Please consult the Two-Step Verification for Canvas on Web Browsers page.
Mobile App Users
Canvas Mobile Apps for iOS
Please consult the Two-Step Verification for Canvas Mobile Apps on iOS page.
Canvas Mobile Apps for Android
Please consult the Two-Step Verification for Canvas Mobile Apps on Android page.
Recommendations and Known Issues
Recommended Two-Step Method for Canvas: Duo Mobile
Duo Mobile is the recommended two-step verification method for Canvas. It is the only two-step verification option that can be used if you do not have cellphone service in your location when you need to log in.
Install the Duo Mobile app on your Android or iOS phone or other device in order to receive Duo Push notifications. Through the app, you tap and approve or generate single-use verification codes to enter in your browser.
Please consult the Two-Step Verification: detailed instructions for information on how to install the Duo Mobile app on your device.
“Call or text me a code” and Canvas Mobile Apps
If you are using a Canvas mobile app and have two-step verification set up to text or call you with a code, you will likely have to leave the Canvas login page to access the code. After doing so, you may need to return to the Canvas app and enter your PennKey username and password again, then enter the code you received earlier. Note: this will trigger a new text/call code, but it is not necessary to copy or write it down.