Instructors can request Canvas sites in the Course Request Form by following these instructions. If you are a TA or staff who must request a Canvas site on behalf of an instructor, please see these instructions.
To start, go to the Course Request Form at https://courserequest.library.upenn.edu/ and log in with your PennKey and password.
Your homepage will display any sites you have requested as well as your existing course sites. The courses for which you can request Canvas sites will be listed in the “Courses” section of the homepage. To request a Canvas site, click on a course’s section number under “Courses.”
Please click on the screenshot to enlarge.
On the next screen, you can specify whether you would like to access content from an old Canvas course site to your new Canvas site. You also can change the course title as it displays in Canvas, request to have sections broken out in the site (if any have been established for your course), request course reserves, add any additional users to your site, and provide additional information.
Please click on the screenshot to enlarge.
At this point, you can choose Submit Request if you would like submit your Request to be processed. The Courseware Support Team monitors the CRF during normal business hours and usually processes a Request within a few hours.
DIRECTIONS (1) – SETTING A CONTENT COPY
To select Copy Content from a previous Canvas site click ‘Select Copy’ and filter by Course title in the pop-up window. Once you have selected your desired Content Copy, click ‘Add Source’ and check that the field populates with a 7 digit number (ex: 1234567).
DIRECTIONS (2) – SELECTING Additional SECTIONS
If additional sections of the course are being offered you can include them in your Request so that your Canvas site will contain multiple sections. To add a section to your Request toggle the desired sections available. Sections that are already included in a Canvas site will be greyed-out and cannot be added to any Requests. For more information about using multi-section Canvas sites please refer to this documentation: https://infocanvas.upenn.edu/using-sections-in-canvas/
If you know that you would like to submit a Request with only content copied over or no specifications as shown above, you can submit a Basic Request by clicking the Request Button and filling out the pop-up window as desired.
- (optional) Specify the Canvas site ID (ex: 1234567) you would like to copy content from in the ‘Copy From Canvas Site’ field.
- Click Submit Request to submit the Request.
- If you decide that you would like to specify additional customizations, click Custom Request to be taken to the full form as defined above.
Editing your Request
If you have accidentally submitted a Request with the incorrect information you can go back and edit the submitted Request form. Click on ‘Requests’ under ‘Main’ in the Navigation (https://courserequest.library.upenn.edu/requests/ ) and you will be directed to a table of all submitted Requests where you can find your Request. Or you can navigate to the home page and go to the ‘Site Requests’ section.
Once on the Request’s page, click Edit Request at the bottom, make your desired changes and then be sure to click Update Request to save your changes. If your Request has already been processed and has the status of ‘COMPLETED’ please contact email@example.com so we can help modify the Canvas site.
What to Do If You Don’t See Your Course in the Course Request Form
If you are new to Penn, or if you were assigned to teach a course near the start of the semester, you might not see your course(s) listed in the Course Request Form when you log in. When this happens, please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your PennKey username (NOT your password), your email address, and your full name
- The full name and course ID for the site for each course that needs a Canvas site (e.g., Intro. to History, HIST 101-001 2015C)
- Do you want content copied into the new Canvas site from another Canvas site? If so, please give the full name and course ID of the site from which you want content copied (e.g., Intro. to History, HIST 101-001 2014C). If you are requesting to have content copied from another instructor’s site, they will need to contact Courseware Support at email@example.com to give their permission for this copy before we can proceed.
- Do you want our Course Reserve department to have access to this site? For more information about our Course Reserve service, please see: https://www.library.upenn.edu/using-libraries/reserves
- Do you want to have follow up contact from a Library liaison?
Please email Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.