On This Page
- Integrate JoVE Content into Canvas
- Getting Help
JoVE (Journal of Visualized Experiments) is the leading producer and publisher of video resources for science education and research. With thousands of videos published across several disciplines in science, medicine, and engineering, the JoVE library provides clear, detailed illustrations of a vast range of scientific techniques and concepts.
You can access JoVE content using your PennKey credentials. If you would like to use advanced features in JoVE such as playlists, we recommend creating a JoVE account.
To create a JoVE account, please sign up at jove.com/account. Make sure you select the role of “Professor / Instructor” when creating your account. This role enables embed codes you create to have access keys in them.
Penn has a subscription to JoVE Unlimited. JoVE Unlimited automatically updates all new JoVE content and products as they are released, keeping users up to date with scientific developments and educational resources. The JoVE Unlimited subscription includes access to the entire suite of products including:
- JoVE Core: Video textbooks that explain concepts taught in undergraduate courses through high-impact animations and real-life experiments.
- JoVE Lab Manual: All-in-one solution for teaching undergraduate lab courses through engaging, comprehensive, and curriculum-focused videos for both instructors and students.
- JoVE Science Education: Video library dedicated to teaching the practice and theory of scientific experiments through engaging and easy-to-understand visual demonstrations.
- JoVE Encyclopedia of Experiments: Online video encyclopedias of advanced research experiments for scientists in academia and biotech.
- JoVE Journal: Peer-reviewed scientific journal, publishing methods articles accompanied by videos of experiments filmed in the authors’ labs. All JoVE articles are indexed in PubMed, Medline, Web of Science, Scopus, and other relevant databases.
To utilize the faculty features that come with Penn’s subscription and to ensure seamless access for your students, please begin by creating an account using your PennKey credentials.
Here are several tips on how to get the most out of JoVE:
- Embed JoVE content into Canvas. JoVE supports various methods of content integration, allowing you to easily embed a single video or a set of videos into Canvas.
- Request a syllabus map from JoVE at no cost. Browse the available maps or request a syllabus map tailored to your instruction or lab needs.
- Create playlists to support specific instruction, laboratory, or research needs. Create your own playlists, browse available playlists, or request a customized playlist.
- Use JoVE quizzes to improve student performance. You can create, customize, and track quiz responses within Canvas. Ask your Curriculum Specialist for pre-made quiz files to upload or learn how to upload a QTI file with JoVE quiz content into Canvas.
- Browse the Faculty Resource Center for additional support. You can find additional support and ideas in the Faculty Resource Center, such as tips for bringing your lab course online or guides to teaching with JoVE via Zoom.
Integrate JoVE Content into Canvas
JoVE content can easily be integrated into Canvas, individually or in bulk. You can integrate JoVE content in Canvas using the LTI tool in Modules, embed videos via the Rich Content Editor, and import common cartridge or QTI files. The Canvas Guide provides excellent instructions on the various ways you can integrate JoVE videos and quizzes into your course.
For additional instructions on using JoVE, please see the JoVE Faculty Resource Center.
Add Content to a Module Using the Canvas Integration
Users may find it difficult to browse for JoVE content using the Canvas integration. For the best experience, we recommend browsing for content using the JoVE website rather than through the Canvas integration. Once you find content using the JoVE website, use the following directions to integrate the content into your course site.
JoVE has been integrated into Canvas for all courses at Penn. You can use the JoVE LTI integration to add videos to your course via Modules.
- Go to the course that you wish to connect with JoVE and click + Module, name the module, then click Add Module to save. If you would like to add a video to an existing module, click the + icon in the module
- Within your new module, click the Add Item button (+ icon).
- From the dropdown menu of the pop-up window, select External Tool, then select JoVE LTI Tool.
- A new pop-up window will display. From the Choose Your Content Type options, select the Videos, Quiz, or Playlist option. If you previously found content using the JoVE website, use the search bar to find the item(s) by title. Click the + icon to add an item to your selection(s). You can include multiple content items at once.
- After your selections are complete, click the Submit link.
- The URL and Page Name fields will auto-populate below. Make any customizations to the additional fields.
To see all available options, you may need to resize or scroll to the bottom of the pop-up window.
- Click the Add Item button to save.
- The item should now appear in the Module. To view the item, click the item link and follow the prompt on the subsequent page to view the video in JoVE.
Embed an Individual Video Using the Rich Content Editor
You can embed JoVE content In Canvas using any feature that supports the Rich Content Editor (Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, or Syllabus).
Before starting to embed videos, please log in to your JoVE account. If you don’t have a JoVE account yet, please sign up at jove.com/account. Make sure you select the role of “Professor / Instructor” when creating your account. This role enables embed codes you create to have access keys in them.
Without the access key that is generated by logging in to JoVE as an instructor, the embed code will not work correctly for off-campus students.
- Start by finding a video in JoVE that you would like to add to your course.
- On the JoVE page displaying your video of interest, click the Embed tab/button.
An embed code allows you to place a JoVE video directly inside of your learning or training. Most of the time, you will want to use the embed code rather than the URL.
- Copy the entire embed code by clicking the Copy Embed Code button or highlighting and copying the embed code (CTRL+C on PC or CMD+C on Mac).
- Navigate to the course site where you would like to add the video.
- To open the Rich Content Editor, create or edit an announcement, assignment, discussion, page, quiz, or syllabus.
- From the menubar, click the Insert menu and select the Embed option.
- Paste the code from JoVE in the Embed Code field. Then click the Submit button.
- Preview your embedded media in the Rich Content Editor.
- Click the Save button.
For more detailed instructions, please see the Canvas guide on embedding content using the Rich Content Editor.
Upload a Common Cartridge or QTI File
You can request a common cartridge or QTI file from your customer success specialist by sending a list of the videos or quizzes you would like to add to your course. Don’t know who your dedicated specialist is? Simply email CustomerSuccess@jove.com. Once you have the cartridge or QTI file, the Canvas guide, and Common Cartridge video tutorial will walk you through the process of loading it into Canvas.
Please contact email@example.com for assistance with JoVE.
Last Updated: 28 Sep 2022