On this Page
Course Guides may be embedded in a Canvas site to provide students with immediate access to a curated selection of course-specific research sources. Anyone in a teaching team role can select and embed a Library Guide in a Canvas site.
This Instructor Guide explains how:
- Enable the Library Guide tool for a Canvas site.
- Specify where the Library Guide should be placed in the course navigation menu.
- Select an existing Course Guide.
- View the contents of the Library Guide.
- Only Course Guides that have already been created can be added to a Canvas site.
- If you would like to have a course guide created, contact your Library Liaison/Subject Specialist.
Enable and Select a Library Guide in Canvas
- Click Settings in the course navigation menu.
- Select the Navigation tab near the top of the page.
- Locate the Library Guides button, and drag it into the “Drag and drop items to reorder them in the course navigation” list. Alternatively, you can click the three vertical dots on the right of the button and select Enable.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save. This will add the button to the course menu.
- Click on the button in the course menu, which will open the LibApps Library Content Selection menu and allow you to link to a specific guide.
- Select library.upenn.edu from the LibGuides Site dropdown.
- Select Full LibGuide from the Content Type.
- Then select the specific guide you’d like to add from the Guide You may also select an optional landing page from the Guide Page dropdown.
- Once you have made all your selections, click Embed Content.
- The Canvas site will refresh and send you back to the course homepage. Click on Library Guide again in the course menu and then View Content to view your guide.
What Do Students See?
The teaching team/admin view of Library Guides differs from the student view. When students select the Library Guide button in a Canvas site, they will see only the embedded page. Teaching team members can view the embedded guide by selecting View Content.