- Open Copied Turnitin Assignments before Students Attempt to Submit
- Re-enable Optional Settings for Copied Turnitin Assignments
- Set up New Turnitin Assignments before Students Submit
- How to Create a Turnitin Assignment with a Rubric
- Ask Students to Make Sure Their Email Address in Canvas Is Confirmed before They Attempt to Submit
Open Copied Turnitin Assignments before Students Attempt to Submit
Students cannot submit to Turnitin assignments copied from another Canvas site that haven’t been opened by someone in the Teacher role. If your Canvas site contains copied Turnitin assignments, please do the following before students attempt to submit their assignments:
- Enter your site and click Assignments.
- Click on the link for the assignment.
- Click the Edit Assignment Settings button on the right side of the page to ensure that the due date and other Canvas assignment settings are correct. Then, please click Save (if you made edits) or Cancel (if you did not make edits) when you are finished.
- If you have set up the Turnitin to load in a new window, click on the Load (assignment name) in a new window link.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for each copied Turnitin assignment.
Re-enable Optional Settings for Copied Turnitin Assignments
If you would would like to use optional settings for copied Turnitin assignments, you will have to re-enable these settings by following these instructions.
Set up New Turnitin Assignments before Students Submit
Turnitin must be enabled for a Canvas assignment before students begin uploading their submissions. If students have already submitted an assignment, you will not be able to enable Turnitin retroactively and will instead need to create a separate Turnitin assignment and then have students re-submit to that assignment. For more information, please consult the directions for creating a Turnitin assignment in Canvas.
How to Create a Turnitin Assignment with a Rubric
To use a rubric with a Turnitin assignment, you must first create a standard Canvas assignment, add a rubric to the assignment, and then edit the assignment to change it from a standard Canvas assignment to a Turnitin assignment [please follow steps 4-7 in the instructions for how to create a Turnitin assignment to change the submission type from a standard assignment option (e.g., a “No Submission” assignment) to a Turnitin assignment].
Ask Students to Make Sure Their Email Address in Canvas Is Confirmed before They Attempt to Submit
Please note that students cannot submit a Turnitin assignment without having a confirmed default email address in Canvas. If student sees a login screen for Turnitin when submitting a Canvas assignment, it means that they have not confirmed their default email address in Canvas. To fix this issue, the student must follow the instructions for confirming their default Canvas email address, and then follow the instructions for submitting a Turnitin assignment in Canvas through a web browser.