ProctorU is a remote proctoring service which has options for live online proctoring, recorded proctoring and advanced machine proctoring for exams in Canvas.
When using the live online proctoring option, remote proctors will use your student’s webcam to watch them while they take an exam; the student’s screen will also be recorded. ProctorU proctors will follow exam guidelines that you’ve determined beforehand, and you will have the final determination about whether or not cheating occurred. With this in mind, it’s important to let students know that:
- The computer they use to take an exam must have a webcam and should be placed in a quiet well lit location.
- The exam should be taken without anyone else present in the room/space you’ve chosen.
- Students should allow a bit of time for set-up and an authenticity check. This helps ProctorU verify the student’s identity and workspace.
ProctorU provides a couple of online proctoring solutions that range from live, person to person, proctoring, to automated proctoring with authentication procedures.
- Allows for 1-on-1 proctoring provided by a remote proctor.
- Uses AI based behavior analysis for automated proctoring.
- Offers custom proctoring options, included annotated video.
Remote proctoring services like ProctorU allow students to take proctored exams in a location of their choice and at a time that works for them. The service also:
- Provides a range of timeslots in which to take an exam, that you control.
- Allows for a range of digital and physical media to aid in testing.
- Offers tech support for Proctoring issues.
When setting up the service for students, you can determine an exam window. Students will be responsible for scheduling a proctoring time within that window. This process is not automatic, and if students attempt to schedule within less than 72 hours or attempt to take the exam without registering they will be charged a small fee and expected to pay with a credit card.
To set up an account and schedule a proctoring time:
- Go to go.proctoru.com to sign in, once you’ve talked with your account representative.
- After logging into their account, you can create an exam by clicking the new exams link, followed by the “Add New” button.
- This is the dashboard you will see when adding a new exam. An instructor may use the check boxes to specify allowed materials and resources, and a dialogue box is provided for resources not listed.
- Exam availability is also be added on this page. Clicking “Add Window” opens a prompt where the instructor can specify the start and end dates and times that an exam is available on ProctorU. Multiple exam windows may be added for a recurring exam.
Under the “Reports/Activity Report” heading in the navigation bar, “Session Activity” can be viewed. The instructor can use a variety of filters to sort appointments. Exam details and accuracy can be reviewed within the ProctorU administrative account. Details can be changed until 24 hours before the exam start time.
Cancellation activity is also available under the Reports menu. This report displays exam name, test-taker name, scheduled start and end dates, reason for cancellation, cancellation explanation, who canceled the appointment, the date canceled and any credit given.