As of August 2020, Piazza has been integrated into Canvas for for all courses at Penn.
Piazza is a robust communication tool that facilitates interaction between students and instructors in a course using discussion boards, question and answer forums, announcements, and more. Although the Piazza forum can be used for assignments it is best utilized as a question and answer board.
- Anonymous posting
- Discussion boards
- Canvas integration
- Faculty and TAs can endorse answers from students to questions their classmates pose
Adding the Piazza Button to Your Course
Both tools are disabled by default. To enable Piazza or Perusall in a course:
- Click Settings on your course navigation menu.
- Click the Navigation tab, which is near the top of the page.
- Scroll down, click the Piazza button(s), and drag it above the line that reads “Drag items here to hide them from students.” Alternatively, you can click the three-vertical dots on the right of the Piazza button > Enable.
- Scroll down again and click Save.
For schools or courses that already have Piazza enabled, users may see a second hidden link when they go to Settings > Navigation. If both links are enabled for Piazza in a site, they will direct users to the same content.
- School of Arts & Sciences (SAS):
- Setting Up Piazza in Canvas: SAS faculty, staff, and TAs can use this documentation to create a Piazza button in their Canvas sites, create a Canvas assignment using Piazza, add Piazza to Canvas modules, and add a link to Piazza through the Canvas Rich Content Editor (available with Canvas Announcements, Assignments, Discussions, Pages, Quizzes, and Syllabus).
- School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS):
- SEAS Piazza Information: Please consult the “Can I use Piazza with Canvas?” section in the preceding link for information on using Piazza in a SEAS course.
- Computing and Educational Technology Services (CETS): Email email@example.com for assistance with and questions about Piazza in SEAS courses.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with and questions about Piazza in Wharton courses.