Canvas operates on a three-week release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn blog a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at email@example.com if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
3/12/16 Production Release Highlights:
- Analytics & Page Views Table: Account, course, and user analytics can be viewed in graph- or table-view. This change improves accessibility and allows keyboard users to access additional data that could previously only be viewed by hovering over the graphs. Analytics pages always default to the graph view.
- “To Do” List: For instructors, the “To Do” list indicates the number of submissions that require grading. The indicator supports up to three digits and matches the primary color of the account’s theme as set in the theme editor. This change also aligns indicators and icons when associated with long course and assignment names.
- Instructor Quiz Previews: Instructors can only preview quizzes in Canvas. Previewing a quiz allows instructors to complete a quiz the same way that students will complete the quiz, including submitting the quiz. However, an official quiz submission is never created in Canvas. This resolves the issue where an instructor’s attempt counted as a user taking the quiz, and thus it could not be unpublished. This change does not apply in the Canvas by Instructure app.
- Differentiated Assignments and User Removal: Instructors can save a differentiated assignment, quiz, or graded discussion after a previously added student or section has been removed from the course. When an instructor created an assignment, and an included student or section was later removed from the course, the instructor wasn’t able to edit or save the assignment. The due-date area for the previously included student or section displayed a loading error. This behavior also affected the Gradebook, which was not able to load correctly when these users were removed from the course. Canvas code has been updated to remove the user override from an assignment if the student is removed from the course.
- Unpublished Files and Concluded Courses: Instructors can download unpublished files in concluded courses.
For a complete production release update, please see:
Last Updated: 24 Jan 2019