Canvas operates on a three-week release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
6/3/17 Production Release Highlights:
- Course Home Page Recent Announcements Display: In “Course Settings,” the “Show recent announcements” option displays for any Course Home Page. Previously, recent announcements only displayed when the Course Home Page was set to the Front Page.
- Embedded Content Preview: When content is embedded through the HTML editor, switching back to the Rich Content Editor displays a preview of the iFrame content. Previously, embedded content always displayed as a gray box, and content could only be viewed once the page was saved. This change does not apply to media added through the “Link to URL” icon in the Rich Content Editor Menu.
- Full Screen YouTube Link: In Pages, YouTube URLs linked in the Rich Content Editor support full-screen viewing. When users click the video thumbnail image, Canvas expands the video window to 425×344 pixels. To display the video in full screen, users can select the “Full Screen” option in the YouTube menu. This change allows users to view YouTube videos without having to open the video directly in YouTube.
- Table Context Menu: When a table is added and selected in the Rich Content Editor, the table displays a context menu. This change allows for quicker table navigation and design access.
- Submission Status: The “Submission Details” page for an assignment only shows a submitted status if a submission has been received.
- New Instructor Tutorials (coming July 15th; mentioned in the June 3rd Production Release Notes): On July 15th, the New Instructor Tutorials feature will be enabled for all Canvas institutions. This feature is comprised of the Modules Home Page and New User Tutorial feature options and will apply to all new Canvas courses. Learn more about New Instructor Tutorials in Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-04-22).
For a complete production release update, please see:
Canvas Production Release Notes: June 3, 2017
2017-06-03 New Feature Screencast from Canvas LMS on Vimeo.
View the script for this video.
Last Updated: 24 Jan 2019