Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at email@example.com if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
December 17, 2022 Production Release Highlights
- Student Feedback Visibility Update: In the Grades page, placement for grade distribution, rubrics, and comments have been updated for consistency. The score column displays the assignment score and total score in a single column. Additionally, students view an unread indicator (blue dot) on the feedback button when a new comment is added to an assignment or a rubric, and comments display in a pop-out comment tray.
- Schedule Page Publication Default Status Update: The Schedule Page Publication default status has been updated to Enabled/Unlocked. Instructors and Admins can delay pages for publication on a specific date and time. Please see the release notes for details.
- Improved Inbox Functionality: In the Inbox, coding has been updated to improve functionality for all users. Please see the release notes for details.
New Quizzes Updates
- Rich Content Editor in New Quizzes: The Rich Content Editor (RCE) is available in New Quizzes.
- Blueprint Courses Support New Quiz Locking: Blueprint Course Quiz Locking disables editing of New Quizzes in associated courses.
- Allow Clearing Selection of Multiple Choice Question Answers: In the New Quizzes settings, instructors can enable Allow Clearing Selection (Multiple Choice) allowing students to clear multiple choice answers.
- Fill in the Blank with Multiple Word Bank Improvements: In New Quizzes, when building a Fill in the Blank question with multiple word bank choices, distractor words display in a separate section for instructors. Also, word choices can be used more than once when Allow Word Bank Choices to be Reused is selected and duplicate answer choices are graded correctly. Additionally, for students, Fill in the Blank questions with multiple word banks display all word bank choices in the answer blank drop-down menu. Please see the release notes for details.
- Penn is updating the way we make students aware of their obligations to protect copyright when using Panopto, the application integrated with Canvas for creating and managing video content. Beginning on January 4, a notice will appear the next time they log in to Panopto requiring they accept that class recordings and recorded materials for class are subject to the Policy on Unauthorized Copying of Copyrighted Media. Also on January 4, the brief video copyright notice that currently appears before each Panopto recording will be turned off. Instructors and administrators can turn that video copyright notice back on for their courses using the settings in Panopto. If you need assistance, please contact your instructional support staff.
For a complete production release update, please see:
Last Updated: 13 Dec 2022