Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
January 15, 2022 Production Release Highlights
- Course Navigation Menu State: The Course Navigation Menu can be collapsed or expanded. The collapsed or expanded state persists throughout all Canvas courses until changed by the user.
- Missing Status Removal: When an assignment indicates a student’s submission as missing, and a grade is entered manually in the Gradebook, the Missing status is removed. Removing the entered grade does not replace the Missing label. Labels that need to be reapplied must be done manually.
- Modules Link State: When External URL or External Tool (LTI) links are added to a module, the Load in New Tab checkbox is not selected by default. However, if the checkbox is selected, the checkbox will remain selected for all additional links added to a module.
- Accessibility Checker Indicator Feature Enforcement: When accessibility issues are detected within the Rich Content Editor, the Editor displays an indicator over the Accessibility Checker icon. Content creators are alerted to accessibility concerns without needing to open the Accessibility Checker.
- Unposted Comment Warning: When a grader adds a text, media, or audio comment in SpeedGrader and tries to advance to the next student or a previous student, the grader is notified that the comment has been created but not posted. Selecting the Proceed button indicates the comment should be saved as a draft for the submission being viewed.
- Feature Preview Terminology Adjustment: The Account and Course Settings Feature Preview tabs have been restored to Feature Options. The Feature Options tab displays the list of all feature options available in Canvas. The term Feature Preview has been repurposed as a label only and references to a feature that is in active development.
New Quizzes Updates
- Matching Questions Partial Credit: The Matching Question type includes the option to select partial credit, similar to Multiple Answer questions. Partial credit is the default option for this question type.