The Penn Libraries, Educational Technology and Learning Management Group, has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, application developer to join our team.
This position will report to the Assistant Director, who maintains a portfolio of software tools and applications that support large-scale, high-volume services in support of teaching and learning. As part of an agile, high-performance team with expanding responsibilities, the candidate will work in a very collaborative and dynamic environment to design, develop and administer applications for learning and teaching. The candidate will also collaborate with other units on campus and elsewhere to identify areas of service improvements and potential future enhancements for the learning management system (LMS) based on customer requests and feedback.
Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. This role requires someone who can work under minimal supervision, proactively anticipates and resolves problems, and has the passion to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Minimum of four years demonstrated professional software development experience
- Proven programming skills working with Java, Python, Ruby and associated web application frameworks (Spring, Django, Rails)
- Ability to take design specification and create working prototype with valid HTML5/CSS
- Demonstrated experience with relational database platform (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, PostgresSQL); Fluency in writing complex SQL statements;
- Experienced user with distributed version control systems
- Proven ability in troubleshooting, support skills and escalation
- Demonstrated knowledge of application design principles and application architecture
- Strong problem solving and communication skills;
- Experience of Amazon and/or Google cloud skills for application deployment and configuration, big data solutions, etc.
- Experience with developing information technology systems for a large organization including both current and leading-edge technologies.
- Data science and machine learning skills
- Experience implementing continuous integration, continuous delivery, and/or continuous deployment * Strong interpersonal communications, problem solving/critical thinking, and high-quality service skills
- Experience working with one of the major LMS systems on the system-administrator level.
- Demonstrated experience developing LTI tools, strong familiarity with LTI standard, and experience administering technical operations of a learning management system (LMS) such as Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace or Moodle in a university setting are all highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have experience with the Canvas LMS, demonstrated technical abilities, a strong customer-service orientation, and excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills.
For more information or to apply, visit the job posting on Careers@Penn.