Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
July 18, 2020 Production Release Highlights
- Direct Share: Direct Share allows users to copy individual course items, including quizzes, assignments, discussions, and pages, to another course and share individual items with other users. Users are able to copy and share content directly in Canvas without having to use a secondary repository like Commons. For more information, please see the Direct Share Release Notes.
- Limited Submission Attempts: The number of submission attempts can be limited for students by the instructor. By default, assignments can be submitted an unlimited number of times. However, instructors can choose to limit the number of attempts a student can make for an assignment. Limiting an assignment applies to all students assigned to the assignment. When an assignment has limited attempts, students will see the number of attempts made and allowed attempts. Please note there is currently not a way to allow additional attempts for specific students.
- Blueprint Association Course Publishing: Blueprint associated courses can be published as part of the initial Blueprint sync.
- Instructor Publishing Improvements: The Dashboard, Courses menu, and All Courses page display both published and unpublished courses.This change helps instructors see what courses are unpublished in various Canvas locations. Note: The Dashboard only displays favorited courses for the current semester.
- File Upload Enhancements: Instructors can add multiple module content from the Course Home Page or the Modules page. Additionally, the Course Home Page has received small design modifications. Instructors can build module content with multiple files at a time using drag/drop from their desktop.
- Course Navigation Rubrics Link: The Manage Rubrics button has been removed from the course-level Outcomes page and added to the Course Navigation Menu. Outcomes are no longer required within a rubric. Instructors can navigate to Rubrics in the Course Navigation menu.
- New Quizzes Enforcement Postponed: Based on current educational challenges from COVID-19, the December 2020 enforcement date for New Quizzes will be postponed until July 2021. All existing timelines will be updated at a later date.
- InstructureCon: The agenda has been posted for InstructureCon.