- Do use “Test Student” to take your exam before releasing it to students. For more information on using “Test Student”, please see: What is Student View? and How do I Access Student View?
- Do publish your exam in Canvas before exam time. Please click on this link for instructions on how to publish you exam: How do I use Draft State in Quizzes?
- Do share this list of Canvas supported browsers with students prior to the exam so that they can see if they need to update their browsers.
- Do tell your students to clear the cache of whatever browser they’re using before logging into Canvas if they’re taking an exam on a shared device: How do I clear my browser cache on a Mac? and How do I clear my browser cache on a PC?
- Do give an additional attempt to students who experience technical glitches by using the Moderate Quiz feature.
- Do use “fudge points” if you find an unfair question and wish to cancel out the point value of that question. Fudge points can also be used to offer a student extra credit on an assessment.
- Don’t set the due date and the “Until” date for the same time. Give a short window between the due date and the “Until” date. To learn more about availability dates, please see: What is the difference between due dates and availability dates?
- Don’t cut and paste images, files, and links from other sites into your quiz. Make sure to use the Rich Content Editor selector on the right-hand side of the page. To add an image to a question, first upload the file to Canvas and then embed it in the question’s Rich Content Editor.
- Don’t create duplicate assessments if you have students taking the same exam at different times or with different time restrictions, see how to add extra time to timed quizzes in Canvas.
- Don’t edit an assessment that is open to students until the due date passes. While Canvas may allow you to edit as assessment that is in progress, doing so can cause grading errors.
- Don’t allow students to see the correct answers and don’t use an automatic grade posting policy until all students have completed the assessment and grades are posted.
If you have any questions, please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org