Using Canvas-based quizzes and exams during our current era of virtual instruction requires flexibility in the administration of assessments since illness, technological challenges, or poor internet connections may make it difficult for students to submit their work by the deadline. Within quizzes, instructors can easily make adjustments to accommodate student requests for extra time, retakes for missed quizzes, or multiple attempts.
To extend an exam time for one or more students, do the following:
- Within Quizzes, click on the quiz you would like to edit.
- Click “Edit”.
- Within Quiz Details scroll down to “Assign to”.
- Below the current “Assign to” field that is assigned to “Everyone”, click “+Add”.
- In the second “Assign to” field, cross out “Everyone” and select the student(s) for whom you are allowing extra time.
- Add the “due date,” “available from” and “until” dates.
- Be sure to save your changes.
In addition to providing students with extra time, instructors can also grant access to a single student, several students, or the entire class to have extra attempts on a quiz by clicking “Moderate This Quiz”. See below for complete instructions.
Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?:
Center for Teaching and Learning Exams and Quizzes When Teaching Remotely:
If you have any questions, please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org