Canvas operates on a three-week release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
12/8/18 Production Release Highlights
- Observer Removal Checkbox in Conferences: Instructors can remove all observer roles from conference invitations.
- Navigation Home Link Menu Removal: In the Navigation page, the Home link does not include a Settings menu. This change aligns consistency with intended functionality of keeping the Home link at the top of the Course Navigation Menu.
- Card View Course Ordering on the Dashboard: Course cards can be manually ordered in the Card View Dashboard. This change allows users to place course cards in a specific order. In the Card View Dashboard, users can select the Settings menu for a course and move the card to another location in the Dashboard. Depending on the placement of the existing card, cards may be moved to the top of the Dashboard, ahead or behind a specific card, or to the bottom of the Dashboard. Cards can also be manually dragged and dropped to another location in the Dashboard. Once a dashboard card has been reordered, new courses added to the dashboard always display at the end of all existing courses.
- HTML5 Media Recorder in the Rich Content Editor: HTML5 is used instead of flash within the Rich Content Editor in Firefox and Chrome browsers. This change allows recorded media without requiring flash within the Firefox and Chrome browsers. Internet Explorer and Safari are not supported.
- Midnight Due Dates on the Dashboard: In the List View Dashboard, Items due at midnight are not adjusted to 11:59 pm.
- Flickr Course Card Image Search: The Flickr search menu now includes a warning about course card search results. When a user searched in Flickr for a course card image in Course Settings, Flickr results did not always return safe results even though the search is designed to only return safe images. This behavior occurred when Flickr image owners did not include a safety setting within the image when it was uploaded. Canvas code has been updated include a warning about search results when searching for a course card image.
For a complete production release update, please see:
Last Updated: 20 Oct 2021