Canvas operates on a three-week release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
4/21/18 Production Release Highlights:
- Individual Recording Deletion for Conferences: Conference recordings can be individually deleted. Previously, only the entire conference could be deleted, which would also remove all conference recordings. This change helps instructors who manage long-running conferences and create multiple recordings. Additionally, concluded conferences display the date and time the conference was concluded.
- Inline Preview Document Height in RCE: When an auto-open inline preview file link is displayed in a Rich Content Editor browser window, the preview expands to a default height of 800px and displays the full file preview. Previously, the preview only expanded to a default height of 400px.
- Word Counter in RCE: The Rich Content Editor displays a word counter within the editor browser window. This change can help users know how many words they have typed in a discussion, page, assignment text entry, or other content location where the Rich Content Editor is supported. The word counter calculates the number of words entered into the editor. A word is considered to be a single string of characters typed together without using the spacebar. The word counter only displays for the user creating content in the Rich Content Editor. After the content is saved, the word counter is no longer visible unless the content is edited. Additionally, the total word count is not visible to any other user. The Rich Content Editor does not have a word count limit. However, word count is not the same as a total character count, which does affect the Rich Content Editor and can vary based on HTML content and use of special characters
- Announcements Reply Icon Update: In Announcements, the Reply icon has been updated to a Lock or Unlock icon, which displays according to the state of the announcement.
- Announcements & Posted Date Display: New announcements created without a Delay Until date display their posted date correctly.