Canvas operates on a three-week release cycle through which features are added or updated. Courseware Support posts highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content to the Canvas at Penn a few days before the production release, which usually occurs on Saturdays. Please contact Courseware Support at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about an upcoming production release.
3/11/17 Production Release Highlights:
- Discussion Attachment Edits: If an instructor enables discussion settings to allow students to add attachments and edit discussion replies, the Edit option allows students to remove a file attached to a reply.
- Peer Review Discussion Completion: When a student completes a peer review in a graded discussion, the discussion page indicates that the peer review for a specific student has been completed. This change aligns consistency for students in peer review assignments.
- Sidebar New Page Links: Rich Content Editor sidebars in the Pages and Syllabus once again include functionality to add a link to a new page, which already exists in other sidebar feature areas. This link is located in the Links tab in the Pages section.
- Unmute Assignment Warning: When an instructor unmutes an assignment, SpeedGrader displays a warning indicating that the assignment will be visible to all students. This change matches the behavior when an instructor unmutes an assignment in the Gradebook.
- Navigation Link Width: If a navigation link includes a long name that expands past the default menu width, the name wraps in the navigation menu.
- File Extensions: When a user renamed a file, Canvas preselected the entire file name, which caused users to completely remove the file type extension. This behavior caused the file to be downloaded as a generic system file. Canvas code has been updated to preselect only the file name and omit the extension.
- User Names: When an admin edited a user’s name and saved the page, no change was visible. This behavior also affected email addresses updated through any method (UI, SIS, or API). Canvas code has been updated to retain changes made to user attributes. This should resolve the problem we saw where admins could not edit the “Display Name” of users in Canvas.
For a complete production release update, please see:
Last Updated: 8 Mar 2017