Today’s DDoS attacks on key providers of core internet services have lead to performance issues with Crocodoc and the Box document-viewer in Canvas. Canvas itself was not affected, but Crocodoc and the Box document-viewer have been reported as being both currently unavailable due to the attack; this will be presented as the Unicycling Panda load screen with no document loading. As soon as Crocodoc and Box have a chance to recover, these documents should render and be viewable within Canvas once again.
If you encounter an issue with Crocodoc or the Box document-viewer, please use the following workarounds until the issue has been resolved:
- Box-document viewer: download the document file by following these instructions–
- Download from “Files” as a Teacher or TA: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2757
- Download from “Files” as a Student (if the “Files” area is visible): https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3278
- Download a file from a Canvas Page or from anywhere there is a link to a file in Canvas by clicking on the link, not the magnifying-glass icon, which is for the document-previewer
- Crocodoc (Used in SpeedGrader):
- Download the assignment documents by following these instructions: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2944
- Comment on the document in the file
- Upload the assignment documents with comments by following these instructions: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-2848
- Enter grades and long-form “Assignment Comments” in SpeedGrader:
We apologize for any inconvenience these issues may cause. Please check the Canvas at Penn website for updates on these issue, and please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance.